County votes to prohibit tobacco use
PENN YAN--There is a new law prohibiting tobacco use within Yates County property effective Jan. 1, 2019.
The Yates Legislature approved the law Monday, May 14. Legislators are prohibiting the use of tobacco, nicotine or other like substances on real property owned or leased by Yates County. Lawmakers also amended the resolution to include prohibiting tobacco use in county-owned vehicles.
During the public hearing conducted prior to the vote for the new law, health officials praised legislators for protecting the public health, safety and general welfare of residents by acknowledging the need of nonsmokers, especially children, to breath smoke-free air and recognizing the danger of secondhand smoke.
In other business the legislature also approved the following resolutions:
• Authorized Precision Aviation, Inc. to rent property from the county commonly known as the north hangar located at the Penn Yan-Yates County Airport.
• Awarded three Natural and Recreational Resource grants to local organizations: The Friends of the Outlet, safety and water quality protection improvements, $18,000,00; village of Penn Yan, Red Jacket beach restoration, $18,000,00; Arc of Yates, greenspace park project, $8,000.
• An intermunicipal agreement with Schuyler County to share the code enforcement officer with Yates County for 2018.
• A new labor agreement was approved with the negotiating teams for the county of Yates, county Sheriff, the Law Enforcement Officers Union and the AFSCME Council 82 for a collective bargaining agreement covering the period of Jan. 1 2018-Dec. 31 2021.
• Adopted a new pre-employment background investigation policy and procedure
• Appointed Dale Hallings to the Yates County Soil and Water Conservation District board of directors starting May 14 2018 for a term ending Dec. 31, 2020.
• Appointed Kerry Brennan Yates County Personnel Officer for a term to expire May 31, 2024.