observer
 
Web Results by google  
SEARCH: go
back4 weather
   
Enter city or zip
go
DUNDEE   ADVERTISEMENT

Dundee will vote on school project March 31

DUNDEE—Dundee Central School District has been putting money aside for capital projects and the time has come for district voters to make a decision on spending money for needed repairs. That money, along with Excel aid and building aid, will result in zero impact on district taxes if the project is approved March 31. The district will pay 10 percent of the total project cost and the state will aid the district the remaining 90 percent.
Commonly asked questions about the project were answered in a district newsletter sent to everyone in the district in February and three public information sessions were scheduled with the final one Friday, March 27 at 1 p.m. in the public meeting room.
Needs include major systems that are at capacity such as the fire alarm and electrical distribution systems which have reached or exceeded their life expectancies. The building masonry and roofs would also be addressed. Problems with the cement cast stone used in the construction of the original building in 1938 were identified more than 50 years ago. An architect attributed the deterioration of the masonry of the facing stones, stone trim, sills and base course stones to the failure of the cement cast stone material used. Its excessive porosity allowed water to enter the stones readily and during winter freezing and thawing caused the stone to crack and deteriorate.
Fiberglass panels were installed in 1992 to encapsulate the deteriorating stone but this was not a permanent solution. Since it was installed moisture has gotten behind the panels and continued the deterioration process. It is not a structural threat at this time, but a permanent solution must be sought in order to prevent the problem from becoming a critical structural issue.
One improvement proposed for outside the building is addition of an all-weather track. Dundee is one of the few schools in the area that is offering a quality track program without a quality facility, according to the newsletter. The school was not able to host a track meet during the 2007-08 school year due to the poor condition of the track in the spring and the district’s inability to prepare it for meets. The all weather surface would benefit not only the school program but also provide a quality track that would be available to the community at large.
Voting will be in the public meeting room March 31 from noon until 8 p.m.
 





Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: