Graduation on the lawn, the back lawn
DUNDEE—The tradition of outdoor graduation ceremonies will continue at Dundee Central School this year, weather permitting. The west side of campus where graduation has traditionally been held is unavailable this year due to construction on the football field. The graduation committee studied possibilities on campus and have selected an area on the north side of school property near the tennis courts. Aggie Woodard, advisor for the Class of 2011, announced the site during the meeting of the DCS board of education on Thursday, May 12. Leigh Howell and Loren Marusarz are Valedictorian and Salutatorian, respectively for the Class of 2011.
In the event of rain, graduation will be in the gymnasium. District Business Administrator Melissa Lawson said the current capital project will not interfere with use of the gymnasium if it is necessary to hold ceremonies indoors. Superintendent of Schools Kathy Ring said students are doing well with meeting the service requirement for graduation.
In other business: Board President Joseph Capurso said he met informally with representatives of the Penn Yan and Marcus Whitman school districts about ways the districts could cooperate to save money.
• Three professional education positions were eliminated for reasons of economy and efficiency. The positions are Business, Social Studies and one Elementary slot. The business teacher is Charles Stewart and the other positions will be vacant due to retirements, The action is effective July 1.
• Four policies were tabled until the June meeting.
• Appointed Laurie Hopkins-Halbert to the tenure position of Director of Special Programs effective Feb. 24.
• Appointed Jessica Shepardson-Wood to the tenure appointment in Science, effective April 20.
• Appointed Jessica Demetros to the tenure appointment in Elementary education, Effective Sept. 1.
• Appointed Angela Wisniewski to the tenure appointment in Elementary education, effective Sept. 1.
• Accepted the resignation of physical education teacher Erin Brady, effective June 30.
• Capurso announced Ester Ninos and Leah Woods (Alternate) are Girl’s State representatives. Troy Ayers, Maxwell Gorton, Alexander Knapp, Gage Oughterson, Michael Pollack and Mackenzie Prior were selected 2011 Boy’s State Representatives.
• Elementary students recognized for outstanding character education trails for April are Savannah Culberton, Dameyon Miller-Cotton, Emilee Ayers and Hunter Murphy.
• April Mega Scots for April are Taylor Howell, Nicholas Fultz, Tyler Morse and Dustin Sullivan.
The next meeting of the Dundee Central School District board of education will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 9 in the public meeting room.