Hall of Fame honorees will be inducted
WATKINS GLEN—The Hall of Fame Selection Committee has selected the following candidates for induction to the Schuyler County Hall of Fame:
• Max Neal
• Honorable John Patrick Callanan Sr.
• James D. Howell
Under joint sponsorship through Schuyler County and the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce, the Hall of Fame was established in 1995 to honor individuals who:
• are or have been residents of Schuyler County;
• have distinguished themselves and in doing so, brought reflected prestige and honor to Schuyler County; and
• have been actively involved in their field of endeavor for a significant number of years in Schuyler County.
The selection of Neal, Callanan and Howell brings the number of “Hall of Fame” members to a total of 38 individuals. Formal induction ceremonies are scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009 from 4:30 to 6 p.m., at Seneca Lodge.
A brief look at inductees list of accomplishments and affiliations are listed below:
• President of the Schuyler County Chamber of Commerce (now the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce) 1991-98; Vice President of Tourism 2001-2004; Interim Chamber President in both 2008 and 2009;
• Schuyler Hospital Health Foundation Executive Director 1999-2000; “Family of Friends” Chair 2004-2008; Board Chair 2009-Present;
• NYS Distinguished “Woman of the Year” in 2005; a “Paul Harris Fellow” awarded by Watkins-Montour Rotary Club, and American Red Cross “Volunteer of the Year”;
• Member Schuyler County League of Women Voters (President 2009), American Red Cross Board, Arts of the Southern Tier Board, Watkins-Montour Rotary, and Schuyler County Empire Zone Board;
• Member Corning Community College Development Foundation Board and Elmira College President’s Council;
The Hon. John P. Callanan Sr.
• Schuyler County Judge, Surrogate and Family Court 1983-1997;
• N.Y. State Assemblyman 1964-1966 (the last NYS Assemblyman to represent Schuyler County alone)
• Watkins Glen Board of Education Member 1966-1977 (President 1971-1976)
• Past President – Schuyler County Chamber of Commerce;
• Watkins-Montour Rotary Club, Past President and a “Paul Harris” fellow;
• Member, Boy Scouts Board (recipient of “Silver Beaver” award), early supporter of the Squires (Drum and Bugle Corps), committee member to help create the Watkins Glen Golf Course, and member of the Southern Tier Library Board
• Member, St. Mary’s Parish Council
• Initiated CASA – Special Advocate for Children in Schuyler County Family Court
• “…a fifty plus year commitment to the betterment of Schuyler County.”
James D. Howell
• Environmental Health Director for Schuyler County for 35 plus years; assisted many with land use for new and existing housing and for environmental health and safety;
• Master of Ceremonies for Italian-American Festival and Montour Falls Firemen’s annual parade for many years;
• Volunteer for Schuyler County Arc in promoting their annual golf tournament
• Awards include being named as a “Paul Harris Fellow” by Watkins-Montour Rotary Club (their highest honor) and the Seneca Lake Pure Water Association honor of “Seneca Lake Protector”;
• Has been or still is member of Montour Falls Planning Board and Montour Falls Fire Department, First Presbyterian Church and Schuyler Hospital Foundation board of directors, and many others.
Plaques, with formal pictures of each honoree along with a number of their achievements, will be added to the “Hall of Fame” display (displayed first at the Watkins Glen Public Library) at the Schuyler County Office Building following the October induction.
Published September 1, 2009