Hammondsport school board 07/14/10
Meeting: The Hammondsport school board met July 14 for one hour and 40 minutes.
Attendance: The full board, plus school officials and an audience of five were present.
Discussion without action: Robert Nuchereno of Arista Development reported on the campaign to sell the Curtiss School, which is being offered at $495,000.
• Ted Finlayson-Schueler of SAFETY First reiterated his evaluation, reported in writing last month, that bus routes in the district are safe as currently used. He allowed that the setting is challenging, saying, “I’m not sure I’ve ever been in a district, at least in this state, with this number of steep roads.” He based his evaluation on the slope, condition, surface, and width of each road, along with the buses, which he said had been “specced out” for this environment” with good gearing for the grades.
• Administrators reported that the state department of education was keeping a number of required standardized exams while raising the acceptable grades for those exams. This will likely lead to more students scoring below the cutoff points, even when their grades remain the same.
• Superintendent Kyle Bower reported that federal funds totaling $471,000 (which supports several personnel positions) are not expected to be renewed after the 2010-11 year.
Bids/purchases over $1,000: The board approved a contract with William Taylor Architects at $8242.50, for a state-required Building Condition Survey.
• A contract with BOCES, at approximately $1.3 million, was approved for Cooperative Educational Services.
Appointments/resignations: The following appointments were approved; Heidi Folts, Joy Manchester-Pierce: on-call substitute teachers, $80/day.
• Kyle Bower, superintendent’s contract extended 2010 to 2015.
• Boys soccer coaches: Adam French, varsity, $3,081.47; J.T. Drum, J.V., $2,641.26; Jody Ordway, modified, $2,301.05; Will Ganona, volunteer assistant.
• Girls soccer coach: Erin Kellogg, varsity, $3,081.47.
• Volleyball coaches: Julie Amsden, varsity, $3,081.47; Donna Sue Kerrick, J.V., $2,791.26; Lynn Binnert, modified, $2,201.05; Erica Webster, volunteer assistant.
• Cross country coach: Jason Brayman, varsity, $3,081.47.
• Girls tennis coach: Shelayne Sprague, varsity, $3,081.47.
• The board approved the following resignations/retirements; Kathy Rinehart, food services, and Cheryl Fenstermaker, elementary teacher.
Upcoming meetings: The next regular school board meeting is Wednesday, Aug. 18 at 7 p.m.