Hammondsport school board 10/20/10
Meeting: The Hammondsport Central School Board of Education, met Oct. 20, for two hours and 20 minutes, plus a 20 minute executive session.
Attendance: The full board plus an audience of eight were present.
Action: Having received two bona fide offers for the former Curtiss School building, the board has set a deadline of Nov. 1, 2010 for the receipt of any other purchase offers. At this time, it is the intention of the board to formally review the offers that have been presented, and to enter into contract with a buyer, at the board meeting to be held Nov. 17.
• The board approved the Daily Substitute Rates: $80 for certified, $70 for uncertified, $70 for TA, and $60 for aide.
Discussion without action: William Taylor and Bart Fisher reported on William Taylor & Associates’ Building Condition Survey. Both reported that the building is doing well but is showing its age. Areas recommended for attention included the roof, which retains excess water; a change in the exit layout from the large assembly room; a new enclosed stairway from the back of the building; railing for two ramps; ADA-compliant doors, rest rooms, and fountains in the primary wing; combustion-resistant features in place of the interior glass in the primary wing; combustion-resistant wall between the cafeteria and the hall; a new gym floor; more storage; entirely new skylights; chimney recapping; and planning for eventual replacement of well-functioning but original heating system.
• Elementary Principal Michelle Sincerbox announced a celebration for the Curtiss School’s federal Blue Ribbon award will be Nov. 19 at the Curtiss Museum, with a seaplane gathering on June 10. Pulteney, Wayne, and Urbana plan to erect Blue Ribbon signs in each town.
Appointments/resignations: The board approved the following appointments:
• Elementary Advisors: Barbara Recchio-Demmin, grades four to six Spanish Club, $1,320.63; and Karen Buckland, Sign Club $880.42.
• Tutors for the 2010-11 school year are: Jason Brayman, Lindsay Orzel, Kimberly Brucz, Jude Platukis, John Kloiber, Julie Ullrich, Rachael McLoud, Kayla Yastremski, and Kory Merritt. The rate is $24 per hour.
• The board approved event chaperones for the 2010-11 school year, at $12 per hour; Kimberly Brucz, Carol Palmer, Ami Corell, Kory Merritt, Patricia Creeley, Rachael McLoud, Barb Fries, Leo Stermole, Susan Hamilton, Mary White, Jody Ordway, Tracy Wood, Lindsay Orzel, and Rachael Zema.
• Winter Sports Coaches: Dan Conley, varsity wrestling, $4,752.10; Ami Corell, varsity cheerleading, $4,702.10; Katie Nichiporuk, JV cheerleading, $3,081.47; Alan Perry, varsity girls basketball, $4,552.10; Jody Ordway, JV girls basketball, $3,581.47; Carrie Meade, modified girls basketball, $2,201.05; Jon Lowin, varsity boys basketball, $4,902.10, Tom Kressly, JV boys basketball, $3,081.47; and Scott Graham, modified boys basketball, $2,501.05.
• The following day-to-day substitute teachers for grades kindergarten to 12 were approved: Desiree Bulkley, Eugene Peckham, Peter Senti, Cari Begeal, and Erin VanGelder.
• The board accepted the resignation of Lori Burden as advisor for the class of 2013.
Upcoming meetings: The next regular school board meeting is Wednesday, Nov. 17, at 6:30 p.m.