Hammondsport school board 9/15/10
Meeting: The Hammondsport Central School District Board of Education met Wednesday, Sept. 15 for two hours and 30 minutes, plus a 25 minute executive session and a 10 minute audit committee session.
Attendance: The full board was present, plus six members of the public.
Discussion without action: Superintendent Kyle Bower stated that he “cannot compliment students and staff enough on the opening of school.” Besides the consolidation onto one campus for the first time, he pointed out that the opening of school and announcement of the school’s recognition as a Blue Ribbon School had coincided with a student’s funeral.
• Bower reported that maximum federal funds anticipated from the federal Jobs Program would be $112,000 over a two-year period, and $40,000 from Race to the Top over a four-year period. Meanwhile New York proposes to retain $38,000 from state aid to meet its Medicare obligations.
• Elementary Principal Michelle Sincerbox and secondary Principal Tad Rounds reported that the transition from the Curtiss School was going very well.
• Administrators reported a total enrollment of 539, comprising 20 pre-K; 208 in K to 5; and 231 in 6 to 12. This compares with 533 at the end of last year, and is 50 above projections made for this date several years ago.
Bids/purchases over $1,000: A $17,940 contract with Catholic Charities for prevention counseling was approved.
Appointments/resignations: The following sports appointments were approved: Jason Brayman, varsity cross country, $3,131.47; Jody Ordway, varsity boys soccer, $3,281.47; Adam Travis, modified boys soccer, $2,201.05; Erin Kellogg, varsity girls soccer, $3,081.47; Carrie Meade, modified girls soccer, $2,201.05; Shelayne Sprague, varsity girls tennis, $3,081.47; Julie Amsden, varsity volleyball, $3,131.47; Erica Webster, JV volleyball, $2,641.26; Lynn Binnert, modified volleyball, $2,201.05.
• Brandon Pierson, long-term substitute.
• Elementary advisors: Jennifer Bower, student council; Stephanie Conover and Marsha Faucett, yearbook; Tom Noteware, sports club; Gordon Vonderlin, Curtiss band; Tom Mitchell, Curtiss chorus.
• Mentors for new teachers: Bill Arnts, Diana Satterfield, Marsha Faucett, Gordon Vonderlin.
• The board approved the resignations of Rhonda Underhill and Tracy Wood, modified girls soccer co-coaches.
• Erin Chaffee, leave of absence until Dec. 31, 2010.
Upcoming meetings: The next regular school board meeting is Wednesday, Oct. 20 at 7 p.m.