Legislators modify preliminary budget
PENN YAN--Yates County budget sessions on Monday, Oct. 24 and Tuesday, Oct. 25 produced a tentative county budget for 2017 with a revised tax levy of $16,045,571, a 1.7 percent variance from the preliminary budget of $16,323,357.
After two days of review, the line items that changed, resulting in a net difference (compared with the original proposed number) of more than $5,000, included the following:
• Historian -- A $11,722 increase for a total proposed amount of $11,722.
• Economic development -- A $6,111 decrease for a total proposed amount of $266,060.
• Conservation programs -- A $15,000 increase for a total proposed amount of $255,153.
• Court security -- A $5,976 increase for a total proposed amount of $377,867.
• Public defender -- A $8,982 increase for a total proposed amount of $40,000.
• Services for recipients -- A $10,000 decrease for a total proposed amount of $55,000.
The revised tentative budget will be presented at a public hearing scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. in the legislative chambers. The tentative budget is expected to be posted online at the county website at www.yatescounty.org.
Under county law, the legislature must adopt the budget by Tuesday, Dec. 20, but Yates County Treasurer Nonie Flynn said she expects it to be adopted sooner than that.