Penn Yan school board 6/6/12
Meeting: The Penn Yan school board met for 20 minutes, Wednesday, June 6.
Attendance: All board members were present.
Action: The board approved a 10 cent increase to school lunches across the district. Elementary lunches will now cost $2, the middle school $2.15, and the academy $2.30.
• A number of donations were accepted, including $24,500 for the elementary playground, $1,600 worth of books for the elementary library, $1,500 for the Helping Us Build Better Assets (HUBBA) club, and $100 for the elementary’s Leader In Me program.
• A worker’s compensation fund was created.
• The district will refund $553.38 to the property owner who challenged their tax property assessment.
Bids/purchases over $1,000: The board approved the purchase of three 65 passenger buses and one 30 passenger bus, not to exceed the cost of $300,000. The proposal was approved by district residents in the May budget vote.
• Penn Yan will provide speech pathology services to Dundee Central School, not to exceed $13,000 for the 2012-13 school year.
Appointments/resignations: The board eliminated 10 certified staff positions, also approved in the budget vote. Kristopher Wilber, health teacher, was reduced to a .6 full-time equivalent position. The district will also eliminate seven teacher aides, one bus driver, and one school lunch cashier.
• Approval was given to create three special education teaching positions, one school psychologist, and one director of student information.
• Two retirements were approved: school monitor Pat Wood and teacher aide Brenda Austin.
Upcoming meetings: The next school board meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 27.