Web Results by google  
back4 weather
Enter city or zip

Scots beat Avon, will play Friday in the state tournament

ROCHESTER---The Dundee Scots football team, Section V Class D champions for the second straight year, had a slow start when then met Class DD champions, Avon, at Marina Auto Stadium Saturday, Nov. 7. For only the second time this year, the Scots trailed in the game, and for the first time this year, Dundee trailed at halftime. Coach Sheldon Gibson said, “We were shaky in the first half. We had been here before [against Avon last year]. We knew they would be tough and we knew what we had to do. We executed poorly in the first half.”
Avon scored first with 13 seconds left in the first quarter on a 22 yard run. After the extra point kick, Avon led 7-0. Dundee made some adjustments in the second quarter, enough to score at 8:19 in the second quarter on a six yard run by Kyle Spinks. Katie Zebrowski’s extra point kick was good to make the score 7-7. Avon had a drive going later in the second quarter which stalled near the 20 yard line. On fourth down, Avon kicked a 39-yard field goal. The score was 10-7, Avon.
The rest of the second quarter was adjustment time, with Dundee trying to figure out what they had to do to crack the Avon defense. Steven Webb stated, “We were getting the blocks to get through the line, but then we would get caught behind. We haven’t been caught from behind very much this year.” Adjustments had to be made at halftime, according to Webb.
At 6:41 in the third quarter, Webb scored on an eight yard run to make the score 13-10. Zebrowski again was perfect on the kick. Dundee led 14-10. Avon picked up some yardage on Dundee penalties, and Webb appeared to recover a fumble. The Avon player was determined to be down before the penalty, negating the fumble recovery. But Dundee was playing with more determination than ever, according to Gibson, and Avon had to punt.  Dundee drove down the field on big plays, with Webb scoring his second touchdown of the game at 1:11 in the third quarter on a three yard run. Zebrowski’s kick failed, although one referee had thrown a flag for roughing the kicker. However, the flag was picked up.
Dundee again had a large, supportive group of fans in the stands. “We certainly had the crowd behind us, as we have all year,” stated Gibson. The crowd has really been the 12th man, Gibson said. Ryan Ballard added, “Our team is like family. We’re not just players. We’re not just coaches. We’re not just fans. We all come to play the game. We’re in this together.”
Statistically, Ballard led the Scots with 14 carries for 147 yards. Webb had 25 carries for 139 yards and two touchdowns. Perez had one carry for 27 yards. Jeff Mullins had three carries for eight yards. Quarterback Tommy Pratt completed three of seven passes for 29 yards. Ballard had eight tackles (three solo) and one sack. Webb had six tackles (five solo) and one interception. Dustyn Thompson had five tackles (four solo). Kyle Ballard had four solo tackles. Joe Tortolon had an interception which he returned for nine yards. Perez also had a sack.
Dundee will face Randolph High School from Section VI, Friday afternoon, Nov. 13, at 5 p.m., at Marina Auto Stadium (formerly Paetec Field) in Rochester for the right to face off against the Section III/IV winner on the road to the Carrier Dome. Randolph has a record of 9-1. Dundee is undefeated.
In ceremonies at halftime, Steven Webb was honored at the Section V Class D offensive player of the year. At the end of the game, Coach Sheldon Gibson was honored as the Section V Class D Coach of the Year. Webb was honored as the Player of the Game.

Go to for additional photos.


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: