Meeting: The Watkins Glen school board met Tuesday, Sept. 8. Attendance: All board members were present. There were no members of the public in the audience. Discussion without action: The meeting started with a moment of silence in memory of Lola Knapp (retired second grade teacher with 25 years of service), Hazel Raplee (retired reading teacher with over 23 years of service and board of education member for three years), and William Wickham (former board member for 11 years).
• Superintendent Tom Phillips reported on meeting with the superintendents from Bradford and Odessa-Montour, Schuyler County Public Health, and school physicians about H1N1 (swine flu). Plans include voluntary immunizations administered at the schools through the department of health and monitoring student illnesses.
• Phillips also said that enrollment numbers show a 23 percent increase.
• Brian O’Donnell, board president, handed out self-evaluation forms to all board of education members to complete. He explained this is being done to meet the goals and objectives of the board governance and operation. Appointments/resignations: The board accepted the following resignations; Karyn Meyer as teaching assistant, Emily Edsall as teacher aide, and Jesse Schubmehl as teacher aide.
• The board also accepted the following appointments; Christopher Clark as special education teacher, Schubmehl as teaching assistant, Karen Van Horn as cleaner, and Rita Burguess as food service helper.
• Michelle Benjamin was appointed as senior class play director and Tim Benjamin was appointed senior play set director. They are stipend positions. Upcoming meetings: The next regular board meeting will be Monday, Sept. 21 starting at 6:30 p.m.